457 Skills Assessment Program Frequently Asked Questions

​When preparing your application please ensure you refer to the programme applicant guidelines and other related information for each of the TRA skills assessment programmes.

How much will an assessment cost?

The assessment fee depends on the occupation being assessed and varies between the individual TRA-approved RTOs. As a guide the documentary evidence stage generally costs between $600-$800, while the technical/practical stage generally costs between $1,200-$1,800. Applicants should contact the relevant RTO to confirm the price for their assessment.

What occupation do I nominate?

TRA cannot advise you on the right occupation for your application. You must nominate the occupation for which you wish to be assessed based on your skills and experience.

When nominating your occupation, please refer to the ANZSCO occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) or Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Applications without a nominated occupation or that nominate an occupation that TRA does not assess cannot be processed by TRA.

My occupation and passport country or Special Administrative Region (SAR) are not on the list for the 457 Skills Assessment Program. What should I do?

If you do not hold a passport from one of the nominated countries or SARs and/or are not seeking a skills assessment in one of the nominated occupations you may not be required to undertake a skills assessment as part of your 457 visa application.

You should confirm the requirements for your visa application with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

How long will it take to process my 457 skills assessment?

The RTO you select to conduct your skills assessment will advise you how long the process will take. Typically, an assessment may be completed within seven weeks from the date you submit the required documentary evidence to the RTO.

Further information on the process for the 457 Skills Assessment Program is available in the applicant guidelines available on the TRA website.

How do I locate a registered training organisation (RTO) that can conduct a skills assessment for my occupation?

TRA has approved a number of RTOs to conduct skills assessment services in a range of occupations and locations around the world. Please visit the  to identify the RTOs available to conduct your assessment, and their contact details.

How do I obtain an occupational licence in Australia?

Australia has strict safety standards and licensing requirements for licensed occupations. While Trades Recognition Australia (and TRA-approved registered training organisations) are responsible for assessing the skills of migrants to ensure they have the skills required to operate in their occupation in Australia, occupational licensing is the responsibility of the relevant state or territory licensing authority. Often the requirements for licensing include a period of employment experience and obtaining Australian-specific knowledge of the relevant occupation within the Australian environment.

Successful skills assessments for licensed occupations conducted by TRA-approved registered training organisations (either through the Offshore Skills Assessment Program, the 457 Skills Assessment Program, Trades Recognition Service or the Optional Skills Assessment Service) result in the issue of an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). This recognises an individual’s technical skills, but also acknowledges that the individual has yet to apply their skills in the Australian environment.

OTSR holders can apply for a provisional licence upon arrival in Australia, which enables them to work under supervision while they address any Australian-specific knowledge and gaps in employment experience before applying for a tradesperson’s licence.

Please visit the Licensing page for further information. 

Do I need an IELTS test?

Under the 457 Skills Assessment Program an IELTS test is not a requirement, however you will be required to undertake a technical assessment in English without assistance. This may also include a practical demonstration.

For information about English language requirements and your visa application, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Will my work experiences and qualifications be recognised?

TRA is unable to provide advice about work experiences and the likely comparability of a specific qualification to the relevant Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualification, without conducting a comprehensive assessment.

Skills assessments are conducted by TRA-approved Registered Training Organisations (RTOs), the RTO you select will take into consideration all the necessary information and evidence that you have provided.

Please follow the Program guidelines to ensure you provide a decision ready application.


Share this Page