Am I eligible for a Migration Points Advice (MPA)?

You are required to have a successful skills assessment from either TRA or a TRA approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO) before you are eligible to apply for the MPA.

You should first check with the Department of Home Affairs to confirm that you require Points Advice before lodging an MPA application.

What do I do if I can't download/access the application form for the Migration Points Advice?

To access the PDF version of the application form on the TRA website, you need Adobe 8 or above (Adobe is available as a free download). 

How will I know if TRA has received my application?

Applications are registered following receipt. You will receive an acknowledgement letter with your TRA reference number confirming receipt of your application once it has been registered.

How many points will I be able to claim for my qualification and/or employment?

The MPA outcome is used to advise Home Affairs about eligible qualifications and employment in assessing your visa application. As TRA does not issue points; all enquiries must be directed to Home Affairs

How long will it take to process my Points Advice?

Applications are assessed in order of receipt and processing times may vary depending on the program. Generally most MPA assessments are completed within 90 days. Should there be any considerable delays; TRA will post a news item on its website.

I need my application processed faster than the standard 90 days. What do I need to do?

The following evidence must be provided to TRA with any request to expedite an application:

  1. A letter from the Department of Home Affairs and/or a State/Territory authority responsible for State Migration sponsorship confirming:
    • approval of a ‘nominated position’,
    • that the applicant is the nominee for that position, and
    • the expiry date for that offer.


  2. A letter from a person with the appropriate authority of the employer intending to sponsor the applicant for migration, on their letterhead, with details regarding the nature of the urgency. This letter must be signed by a person with the appropriate authority to progress the applicant’s migration sponsorship and include their position within the company and contact details.

This information must be emailed to TRA at, including your full name, date of birth, and TRA reference number.

Do I need an English Language Test (such as IELTS etc)?

An English language test is not required for the Migration Points Advice.

Part 4 of the application form states "Formal training relevant to your nominated occupation and accredited by an authorised governing body" What does this mean?

"Formal training" generally refers to a period of study that results in a nationally recognised award or qualification. "Accredited by an authorised governing body" means that the training undertaken must be accredited and regulated by the appropriate governing body in the country of issue, for example a Ministry of Education, or a State Board of Technical Education.

What is the maximum amount of employment TRA will assess?

The purpose of the MPA is to provide advice regarding qualifications and specific periods of employment over the past ten years. Any employment prior to the ten years from the date of application will not be considered for Points Advice.

I am self-employed, can I apply?

Yes, applicants who are self-employed and can meet the program requirements specified in the MPA Applicant Guidelines are eligible for the MPA program.

What evidence do I need for my employment?

Employer Template

You will need to provide a completed Employment Template for each period of employment (or self-employment) you wish to claim. These templates are found here. Further details regarding the Employer Template are listed in section 4.3.1 of the MPA Applicant Guidelines.

Pay Evidence

TRA requires sufficient evidence of paid employment to verify that your employment was full-time (or equivalent part-time) and at the required skill level for your occupation in Australia.  The employment pay evidence you are required to submit will vary depending on your employment type. A full list of employment pay evidence is listed at section 4.3.2 of the Migration Points Advice Applicant Guidelines. 

What if I have only worked part-time?

Evidence of employment undertaken on a part-time basis will be noted as such on your MPA letter.

How many payslips do I need to provide?

For employment not completed in Australia, TRA will require three payslips for each year of employment you are claiming. Each payslip must cite the names of the employer and employee. Comprehensive information regarding evidence requirements can be found in the MPA Applicant Guidelines.

For employment completed in Australia, you will only be required to provide a Payment Summary Information statement issued by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) that lists your employer/s and payment amount for each period of Australian employment you are claiming. This can be obtained by contacting the ATO on 13 11 42.

I cannot obtain a Payment Summary Information statement from the ATO for the current financial year, what other evidence can I provide?

If you wish to claim employment for the current financial year you must provide 3 payslips from the current financial year citing the name of the employee and employer.

How will I know if I need to have Points Advice?

The visa subclass you are applying for with Home Affairs will specify whether it is a points tested visa. Unless you have already been advised by Home Affairs to obtain Points Advice from TRA, you should check with Home Affairs before lodging an application with TRA.

Please note that you are required to have a successful skills assessment before you are eligible to apply for the MPA. Please also note that TRA provides migration points test advice only. A decision to award points remains with Home Affairs.

Do I need to resubmit documents I have already provided to TRA with a previous MSA or MPA application?


If you have a successful outcome from the TRA Migration Skills Assessment Program:

You are not required to resubmit documents you have already provided with a previous MSA application. You can submit any additional evidence you wish to have assessed for Points Advice.

If you have a successful outcome from a TRA-approved Registered Training Organisation (RTO):

You will need to submit all documents with your MPA application as specified in the MPA Applicant Guidelines.

Why does TRA need a transcript of the subjects I studied for my qualification?

TRA compares qualifications issued overseas to the relevant Australian qualification for the nominated occupation when determining relevance. To do this, TRA requires the academic transcript to be provided in the application.

If you do not have a copy of your qualification and transcript we suggest that you contact the institution that issued your award and ask them to provide you with either a copy of your transcript, or other official certified documentation stating your name, the qualification and the date awarded, an overview of the content of the program and the competencies/subjects completed by you.

If TRA cannot verify the content of your training, your qualification may not be considered for Points Advice.

I have received my MPA letter and need feedback. What do I need to do?

To request feedback, please email with your personal information including your TRA number. Please note responses to feedback requests can take up to two working days.

How do I request a review of my MPA outcome?

You have 90 days from the date of your assessment to apply for a review. Your MPA letter will contain information about how to apply for a review. You cannot supply any additional information with a review application. You can also download the 'Review Request Form' from the "Forms and Policy" tab on the TRA website.

I have a National Vocational Qualification (NVQ) Level 2 from the United Kingdom. Will TRA accept this as a comparable qualification for Migration Points Advice?

TRA will accept an NVQ 2 as a comparable qualification in some cases and for some occupations. Generally, TRA considers the United Kingdom NVQ 2 to be at a level broadly comparable with that of the AQF Certificate III that is required for the majority of occupations assessed by TRA. However, training programs leading to an NVQ 2 can be highly varied in their content, duration and delivery methods. For this reason, TRA cannot guarantee that your NVQ 2 will be accepted in all cases.

When assessing your NVQ 2, TRA will look at the length of your training or apprenticeship period and the subjects you studied for your qualification. Your NVQ 2 will not be accepted if it is missing components which are major requirements of the comparable Australian qualification for your nominated occupation. For example, the NVQ 2 in Gas Network Operations is not accepted for Gasfitters because it does not include training in gas appliances, flues or ventilation as is required in the relevant Australian qualification for that occupation, the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) Certificate III in Gasfitting.

If you decide to use an NVQ 2 as the main qualification in your TRA application, you should ensure that you have included detailed evidence of the training that you did to receive your qualification.

Please note that TRA considers the NVQ 2 to be at most comparable to an AQF Certificate III. Some occupations require a comparable level qualification higher than a Certificate III. In these cases, your NVQ 2 will not be accepted as comparable.

More information about occupations that require a comparable qualification higher than the AQF Certificate III can be found in the FAQ below.

What is the relevant Australian qualification for my nominated occupation?

The relevant Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) qualification for specific occupations can be found here (PDF 202KB). TRA compares the content of your training (transcripts, syllabus etc.) to the relevant AQF qualification to ensure your training is directly related to your nominated occupation.

My employment is not related to my occupation. Can it be considered for Points Advice?

TRA is only able to comment on employment undertaken in occupations it is authorised to assess.

I have other qualifications that are not related to my nominated occupation. Can I get these assessed by TRA?

TRA may only provide advice on comparable qualifications for an occupation that TRA is authorised to assess.

How do I request a copy of my MPA outcome letter?

You must request a replacement MPA letter in writing. TRA requires verification of your identity when requesting a copy of an MPA letter. Your request must include your full name, TRA reference number, date of birth, current postal address and email address. TRA may also require you to provide a signature or other photo identification if unable to verify your identity. Please email your request to 

Share this Page