Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) Frequently Asked Questions

When preparing your application please ensure you refer to the programme applicant guidelines and other related information for each of TRA's skills assessment programmes.

How much will an assessment cost?

The assessment fee depends on the occupation being assessed and varies between the individual TRA-approved RTOs. As a guide the documentary evidence stage generally costs between $600-$800, while the technical/practical stage generally costs between $1,200-$1,800. Applicants should contact the relevant RTO to confirm the price for their assessment.

What occupation do I nominate?

TRA cannot advise you on the right occupation for your application. You must nominate the occupation for which you wish to be assessed, based on your skills and experience.

When nominating your occupation, please refer to the ANZSCO occupations listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL) or Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) website.

Applications without a nominated occupation or that nominate an occupation that TRA does not assess cannot be processed by TRA.

How do I locate a registered training organisation (RTO) that can conduct a skills assessment for my occupation?

TRA has approved a number of RTOs to conduct skills assessment services in a range of occupations and locations around the world. Please visit the to identify the RTOs available to conduct your assessment, and their contact details.

My occupation and passport country or Special Administrative Region (SAR) are not on the list for OSAP. What should I do? 

If you do not hold a passport from one of the nominated countries or SARs or your occupation is not listed, then you may need to apply for the TRA Migration Skills Assessment (MSA) program.

Information about the MSA program is available on the TRA website.

How long will it take to process my skills assessment? 

The RTO you select to conduct your skills assessment will advise you how long the process will take. Typically, an assessment may be completed within 13 weeks from the date you submit the required documentary evidence to the RTO.

Further information on the process for the OSAP is available in the applicant guidelines available on the TRA website.

How do I obtain an occupational licence in Australia?

Australia has strict safety standards and licensing requirements for licensed occupations. While TRA is responsible for assessing the skills of migrants to ensure they have the skills required to operate in their occupation in Australia, occupational licensing is the responsibility of the relevant state or territory licensing authority. Often the requirements for licensing include a period of employment experience and obtaining Australian-specific knowledge of the relevant occupation within the Australian environment.

Successful skills assessments for licensed occupations conducted by TRA-approved RTOs (either through the Offshore Skills Assessment Program, the 457 Skills Assessment Program, Trades Recognition Service, or the Optional Skills Assessment Service) result in the issue of an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). The OTSR recognises an individual’s technical skills, but also acknowledges that the individual has yet to apply their skills in the Australian environment.
OTSR holders can apply for a provisional licence upon arrival in Australia, which enables them to work under supervision while they address any Australian-specific knowledge and gaps in work experience before applying for a tradesperson’s licence.
Please visit the Licensing page for further information.

Do I need an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test?

Under the OSAP, an IELTS test is not a requirement; however, you will be required to undertake a technical assessment in English without assistance. This may also include a practical demonstration.

 For information about English language requirements and your visa application, please contact the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Will my employment experience and qualifications be recognised? 

Skills assessments for the OSAP are conducted by TRA-approved RTOs. The RTO you select will advise you about the documentation that must be provided and will take into consideration all the necessary information and evidence that you provided when conducting an assessment.

Share this Page