Trades Recognition Service (TRS) Frequently Asked Questions

How much will a TRS assessment cost?

The assessment fee depends on the occupation being assessed and varies between the individual TRA‑approved RTOs. As a guide, the documentary evidence stage generally costs between $600-$800, while the technical/practical stage generally costs between $1,100-$2,200.

Applicants should contact their selected RTO to confirm the price for their assessment.

How can I find an RTO to conduct my TRS skills assessment?

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) has approved a number of RTOs to conduct TRS skills assessments around Australia.  Please see the TRS RTO Finder to identify the RTOs available and obtain their contact details.

How long will it take to process my skills assessment?

The RTO you select to conduct your skills assessment will advise you how long the process will take. Typically, an assessment may be completed within 13 weeks from the date you submit the required documentary evidence to the RTO.

Specific enquiries about TRS assessments, including assessment timeframes, fees, documentary evidence requirements and assessment arrangements should be discussed directly with your selected TRA‑approved RTO.

How do I obtain an occupational licence in Australia?

Australia has strict safety standards and licensing requirements for licensed occupations. While TRA is responsible for assessing the skills of migrants to ensure they have the skills required to operate in their occupation in Australia, occupational licensing is the responsibility of the licensing authority in the relevant state or territory. Often the requirements for licensing include a period of employment experience, and obtaining Australian-specific knowledge of the relevant occupation within the Australian environment.

Applicants who have a successful skills assessment for a licensed occupation by a TRA-approved RTO are issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). The OTSR recognises an individual’s technical skills, but also acknowledges that the individual has yet to apply their skills in the Australian environment.

OTSR holders can apply for a provisional licence which enables them to work under supervision while they address any Australian-specific knowledge gaps in employment experience.

Please visit the Licensing page for further information.

My occupation is not on the TRS occupation list. How can I have my skills assessed?

You may wish to approach an RTO to discuss their training and assessment options.  RTOs will discuss the availability and cost of gaining recognition in your trade. RTOs will also be able to discuss any skills gaps you may have and how they can be addressed by further training and/or experience.  RTOs can be located via

Share this Page